Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors

July 3, 2020, 8:51 pm UTC    
WVK
December 13, 2011 10:17AM
bernard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

" The Political Organization of
> Chichen Itza," Ancient Mesoamerica, 15 (2004),
> 167–218
>" The entire Great Ballcourt, I would argue, owed
> its monumentality precisely to the role it played in investiture
> rituals and possibly was less a functioning court than an immense
> effigy of one, as its impossibly high ballcourt rings might
> suggest. It was, in effect, a large arena for legitimating leaders who
> were not necessarily local. "

> If in fact, the Great Ball Court is a place for symbolic investiture-- this say
> nothing in favor of planned rattlesnake flutter echoes.

I am not arguing for rattlesnake sounds in GBC. The acoustic of the GBC does
*in fact* function as a passive Public address system allowing conversation
from temple to temple, temple to field. (and, perhaps, field to temple)
What sort cultural evidence is necessary "prove" the usefulness of this
phenomenon for investiture ritual?

> Further, your argument here militates against Lubman's argument that
>the ratttlesnake flutter echoes were produced by the ball bouncing off the
> walls and the garments of the ballplayers.

According to Lubman the high walls of the GBC form a waveguide that results
in the transmission of sound described above. A byproduct of the parallel walls
are potential flutter echo. But as a place for symbolic investiture then no ballgame
no bouncing ball, no flutter sound.

> As I pointed out y'all have not only provided no
> cultural evidence the "scientific" evidence is
> actually very weak-- no sonograms, no exact
> replication of what caused sounds etc.

I was thinking that the rattlesnake sound TotW) had cultural evidence.
Nevertheless I agree that more evidence is needed. That would require permission
(Permit?) from the authorities to gather field recording, something they
will not grant to Lubman. Perhaps you can help in that?

WVK



Subject Author Posted

Great Ballcourt acoustics

WVK December 11, 2011 11:41AM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

Jammer December 12, 2011 11:48AM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

bernard December 12, 2011 03:53PM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

WVK December 12, 2011 10:30PM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

Katherine Reece December 13, 2011 12:35AM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

WVK December 13, 2011 01:16PM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

Katherine Reece December 13, 2011 02:59PM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

bernard December 13, 2011 01:27AM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

WVK December 13, 2011 10:17AM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

WVK December 30, 2011 12:00PM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

WVK December 30, 2011 12:01PM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

Katherine Reece December 12, 2011 07:13PM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

WVK December 12, 2011 12:56PM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

Jammer December 12, 2011 04:04PM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

Sirfiroth December 14, 2011 10:59AM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

Cognito January 04, 2012 05:31PM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

Sam Salmon January 04, 2012 08:52PM

Re: Great Ballcourt acoustics

WVK August 04, 2012 04:28PM



Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login