Authors

September 27, 2020, 7:26 am UTC    
March 08, 2019 10:03AM
Paul H. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Do not forget athird option to either ice-free
> cooridor or coastal route.

Thanks Paul, but Michael Waters was referring to *AFTER* they cleared the ice sheets on the way to Vero Beach. Central Mexico and the mouth of the Columbia River were not glaciated at the end of the Pleistocene (or ever?)...thus my comments were directed at Waters 'no evidence' story on only the ice-free part of the journey.

> Dawe, R.J. and Kornfeld, M., 2017. Nunataks and
> valley glaciers: Over the mountains and through
> the ice. Quaternary International, 444, pp.56-71.

Forget Dawe and Kornfeld????
[www.hallofmaat.com]
I referenced them on this list over a year ago.

I posted arguments for that hypothesis online (how they got *through* the ice sheets before hitting the ice-free areas) years before they ever published the idea in a peer-reviewed journal. That's my favorite hypothesis. I first thought of it when I read the book:
[www.amazon.com]
Glass and ice: The archaeology of Mt. Edziza (Publication / Department of Archaeology, Simon Fraser University) Paperback – 1985 by Knut R Fladmark

There is weak, indirect, evidence for the 'over the ice' hypothesis in that book (and other sources). The way it is now IMO, in 2019, weak evidence is better than none that is available for early boats.

I haven't read Dawe and Kornfeld (2017) because the abstract was about what I already knew and agreed with.

Here is one test I did, since I'm too old for this sort of thing, I sent two spies far up onto the glacier behind Glacier Bay to check out traveling conditions for a possible over the ice route.
[imgur.com]
Test results: positive (notice the posting date 2017...soon after the Dawe and Kornfeld paper was published.

Since there has been so much overwhelming response (joke) to the Dawe and Kornfeld hypothesis (and my own arguments for it) on this list and elsewhere it deserves a new topic all of it's own.

Subject Author Posted

Human remains and associated fossils from the Pleistocene of Florida.

Paul H. February 26, 2019 06:18PM

Re: Human remains and associated fossils from the Pleistocene of Florida.

Allan Shumaker February 26, 2019 07:34PM

Lee Olsen March 07, 2019 11:58AM

Paul H. March 07, 2019 08:20PM

Lee Olsen March 08, 2019 10:03AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login