-------------------------------------------------------
> Hans Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
>
> ...
>
> > Thanks for noting my book.
>
> IIRC, there was an interesting (if uncomfortable)
> episode with a teaspoon ...

Would be happy to provide a illustrated sub- chapter of the young Ensign's visit to the Pyramids:

The British Ensign reached Caire (Cairo) by way of a boat along the 'Mahmoodeeh' Canal from Alexandria. He first sighted the pyramids while on that canal.

Chapter V Alexandria to Suez, sub-chapter: The Mahmoodeeh Canal

Saturday 12 November

It was Perkins who first sighted the tops of pyramids rising up to our south east. They seemed so close but I knew them to be far. They appeared ethereal, vague and airy like, seeming to float beyond the palms to our front along the Nile while we could see them rising up behind. I estimated we were some five and twenty miles from them and Perkins thought it even more distant. Over this, we disagreed and he asked why I was so certain on my estimate. I told him that, as someone self-schooled in measure and use of artillery, I could estimate ranges easily.

Some images, the last is a drawing from the journal. Driscol took up the habit of drawing pyramids with faces and did so for the rest of his life.

Subject Author Posted

An Officer of the Crown: Reminiscences of an English Ensign's Journey to the East ... ($19.95)

Hermione March 04, 2019 07:59AM

Re: An Officer of the Crown: Reminiscences of an English Ensign's Journey to the East ... ($19.95)

Hans January 23, 2020 10:37AM

Re: An Officer of the Crown: Reminiscences of an English Ensign's Journey to the East ... ($19.95)

Hermione January 24, 2020 10:41AM

Hans January 24, 2020 03:34PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login