Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors

October 16, 2019, 9:45 pm UTC    
July 31, 2019 10:04AM
The famous example appears in "The Mayor of Casterbridge" [www.gutenberg.org] (Ch. 1; a drunken Michael Henchard sells his wife to a sailor, Donald Newson).

But see Ch. 41:

“Curious business! 'Twas worse than curious. I cannot even allow that I'm the man you met then. I was not in my senses, and a man's senses are himself.”

“We were young and thoughtless,” said Newson. “However, I've come to mend matters rather than open arguments. Poor Susan—hers was a strange experience.”

“She was a warm-hearted, home-spun woman. She was not what they call shrewd or sharp at all—better she had been.”

“She was not.”

“As you in all likelihood know, she was simple-minded enough to think that the sale was in a way binding. She was as guiltless o' wrong-doing in that particular as a saint in the clouds.”

“I know it, I know it. I found it out directly,” said Henchard, still with averted eyes. “There lay the sting o't to me. If she had seen it as what it was she would never have left me. Never! But how should she be expected to know? What advantages had she? None. She could write her own name, and no more.”

“Well, it was not in my heart to undeceive her when the deed was done,” said the sailor of former days. “I thought, and there was not much vanity in thinking it, that she would be happier with me. She was fairly happy, and I never would have undeceived her till the day of her death. Your child died; she had another, and all went well. But a time came—mind me, a time always does come. A time came—it was some while after she and I and the child returned from America—when somebody she had confided her history to, told her my claim to her was a mockery, and made a jest of her belief in my right. After that she was never happy with me ... "

Hermione
Director/Moderator - The Hall of Ma'at
Subject Author Posted

Top 43 reasons why men remain single

Paul H. August 11, 2018 03:27PM

Re: Top 43 reasons why men remain single

Khazar-khum August 11, 2018 05:31PM

Allan Shumaker August 11, 2018 05:47PM

Khazar-khum August 13, 2018 04:43PM

Auctioning off the wife

Allan Shumaker July 31, 2019 08:46AM

Re: Auctioning off the wife

Hermione July 31, 2019 10:04AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login