Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors

November 13, 2019, 2:13 pm UTC    
November 01, 2018 10:43AM
Results of test:
[www.ctvnews.ca]
"The magpies turned out to be quicker and more daring. The magpies first explored and tasted the strange junk food,
while crows repeatedly approached and retreated. But when the crows learned that Cheetos were tasty, they stole them from the magpies."

Many people have bird feeders in their back yards to attract those pretty song birds to watch and photograph them or the help them through the winter. Stores sell song-bird feed by the ton.

I, however, went for the predator feeding station:
[imgur.com]

My tests show that this statement from the above scientific test is true:
"The magpies turned out to be quicker and more daring. The magpies first explored and tasted the strange junk food,..."

If I leave a trap with the mouse or gopher bait, magpies are not afraid to grab the bait, trap and all, and fly away with it. If ravens see the trap they will never approach the station. So ravens are the more wary, just as stated above: "while crows repeatedly approached and retreated" (true), but if the coast is clear, they will bully the magpies away to get to the bait if it is too heavy to fly away with (I don't always use mice or gophers for bait, sometimes I get bigger road kill to heavy for birds to lift).

However, the ravens aren't the biggest bullies around my area, the hawks out-bully the magpies and the ravens.

Generally speaking, whichever bird sees the bait first gets it, so long as people or traps are not visible at the station.

Who is working smarter? The raven, IMO. It would be illegal and unethical to test this, but logic dictates without testing that if a trap were set...the poor magpies and the bigger hawks would be doomed.

Subject Author Posted

Crafty crows

Hermione October 25, 2018 05:14AM

Re: Crafty crows

Khazar-khum October 28, 2018 05:30PM

Rick Baudé October 28, 2018 07:16PM

Hermione October 29, 2018 10:16AM

Rick Baudé October 29, 2018 10:46AM

Khazar-khum October 29, 2018 04:18PM

Hermione October 29, 2018 04:27PM

Re: Crafty crows???

Lee Olsen October 29, 2018 03:29PM

Re: Crafty crows???

Hermione October 29, 2018 04:25PM

Re: Testing crafty scientists

Lee Olsen November 01, 2018 10:43AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login