Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors

October 15, 2019, 9:09 pm UTC    
July 15, 2019 12:11PM
I have a question to anybody about depictions of the Sun and the Moon. I have always understood that the Sun is represented by an unsupported disk, baring Khepri, and is either gold/yellow or red, and that the Moon is always a silver disk supported by a crescent. Are there any clear examples that run counter to this that anybody knows of?.

I can supply a few, which, to me at least, have been hiding in plain site for nearly a hundred years and, not until prompted in part by this thread, given any consideration by myself.

From KV62 we have the following items in Carter's index.
44G Described as a ring with the Sun bark. The solar disk is gold and is supported by a crescent, with a solar baboon at prow and stern raising their paws in adoration.

267N Described as a pectoral with royal prenomen and lotus fringe. The central part forms Tutankhamun's throne name, Nebkheperure. All the elements are as we expect them, except that the "re" element, the gold solar disk, is support by a crescent. I have never seen this before, though will add that the name is not in a cartouche so perhaps canon does not apply, but with a king's name, maybe it should do.

256QQQ Described as a necklace with winged scarab pectoral. Again this forms the name Nebkheperure, though again the solar disk, with clear traces of gold remaining, is supported by a crescent.

256OOO Described as a necklace with three scarab pectoral. The design at face value repeats the name Nebkheperure three times. The two outer parts of the design have the "neb" sign with Khepri above, but no plural sign anywhere in sight. Above these two outer scarabs is a normal gold solar disk. The central part of the design is the same except that Khepri is supporting a red solar disk itself supported by a crescent.

I've not seen any comment anywhere about these solar disks supported by a crescent, in fact it's just ignored, so am I seeing things, or is this not a thing and everybody knows exactly what the iconography means and there is nothing unusual, and it's just me late to the party and missed some crucial information that is out there for all to see.

Lunar eclipse, well, there was one close to the Amarna period. Atenist theology, what little we know of it, seems to exclude any mention of the Moon, something perhaps close to the dynasty via a liking for the name Thutmose. So I wonder that if to explain the purpose of the Moon in an Atenist universe, Akhenaten had fused the Moon with the Aten, while not seeming to mention it, but much is missing of course, and we see an echo of this Atenist theology in these pieces from KV62, inspired perhaps by a solar eclipse that influence Akhenaten. At this time I cannot find a reason for these solar disks to be supported by crescents other than that they may represent a theological fusion of the Aten/solar disk with the Moon.

Subject Author Posted

Lunar Eclipse

Pistol June 05, 2019 05:00AM

Re: Lunar Eclipse

L Cooper June 08, 2019 11:20AM

Pistol June 09, 2019 05:05AM

Pistol June 09, 2019 06:25AM

Hermione June 09, 2019 06:33AM

Pistol June 09, 2019 09:18AM

Pistol June 09, 2019 09:18AM

Hermione June 09, 2019 09:45AM

Pistol June 11, 2019 06:33AM

L Cooper June 11, 2019 08:02AM

Pistol June 12, 2019 06:13PM

L Cooper June 13, 2019 07:22AM

Byrd June 15, 2019 10:00PM

Pistol June 16, 2019 12:37AM

Byrd June 21, 2019 10:37PM

Pistol June 22, 2019 06:44AM

Pistol June 23, 2019 10:08AM

Byrd June 23, 2019 09:43PM

Pistol July 08, 2019 04:55AM

Corvidius July 15, 2019 12:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login