Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors

October 15, 2019, 9:15 pm UTC    
September 14, 2019 04:02PM
Hemiunu (U36 (Hm) O28 (j(w)n) – Junker suggests ‘Servant of (the god of) Iunu’ (cf. Junker Giza I, p, 148)

Hemiunu was the eldest son of Nefermaat, and both were ‘Overseers of all the king’s works’. This title implies overall responsibility for the design and construction of the royal mortuary complexes of Snefru and his son Khufu, although, the inscriptions in Nefermaat’s tomb make no mention of him designing or overseeing any buildings. (his hieroglyphs, inscribed in the stone walls, and filled with colored paste, do however get a proud mention.)

Nefermaat, most likely a son of Snefru (or perhaps Huni), was a ‘Priest of the goddess Shezmetet’ (Hm nTr Szmtt). Hemiunu, followed in his father’s footsteps, and was also a ‘Priest of Shezmetet’.

The leonine goddess, Shezmetet, is attested from the Early Dynastic Period, but little is known of her role in the royal afterlife of Dynasty 4. The earliest description of her role is found in the Pyramid Texts of Unis - Shezmetet gave birth to the king, as a star - the king appearing as a star:

“Unis is a great one: Unis has emerged from the Ennead's thighs. Unis has been conceived by Sekhmet, and Shezmetet is the one who gave birth to Unis, a star (sbA) with sharp front and extensive goings, who fetches what the above has for the Sun every day. Unis has come to his seat with the Two Ladies on it, appearing as a star (sbA).” W 159 (PT 248) Sethe Vol 1: 143; §§262-3

Middle Kingdom Coffin Texts:

".....I have issued from between the thighs of the Enneads; Shesmet conceived and bore me." (CT 364 V, 24); "I was conceived and borne by Shezmetet......" (CT 485 VI, 63)

New Kingdom 'The Book of Going Forth by Day' (Theban Recension):

I will raise up Atum, for my words are great; I have issued from between the thighs of the Ennead, I was conceived by Sekhmet, it was Shezmetet who bore me, a star brilliant and far-travelling, who brings distant products to the Sun daily. I have come to my throne upon the Vulture and the Cobra (the Two Ladies), I have appeared as a star. (Chapter 174)

As far as I know, no one has owned up to designing or overseeing the royal mortuary complexes of the OK, but men with the title ‘overseer of all the king’s works’ remain the most likely candidates. If Hemiunu was involved in the design and realization of Khufu’s mortuary complex, the fact that he was a priest of Shezmetet, suggests the stellar aspects of the royal afterlife beliefs were incorporated into the design together with solar aspects, as part of an overall celestial theme:

You have been given to your mother Nut in her identity of the sarcophagus. M 291 (T 196)

Horus has collected the gods for you and they cannot be away from you in any place in which you have gone; Horus has allotted the gods to you and they cannot be away from you in any place in which you become immersed. Nephthys has collected all your limbs for you, in her identity of Seshat, lady of builders, and has made them sound for you. You have been given to your mother Nut in her identity of the burial place, she has collected you in her identity of the burial chamber, and you have been elevated to her in her identity of the tomb's superstructure. T 196

Chris
Subject Author Posted

Hemiunu

Pistol September 14, 2019 01:23AM

Re: Hemiunu

Roxana Cooper September 14, 2019 09:45AM

Pistol September 17, 2019 12:51AM

L Cooper September 14, 2019 01:44PM

Pistol September 17, 2019 12:50AM

Chris Tedder September 14, 2019 04:02PM

Pistol September 17, 2019 12:45AM

Chris Tedder September 17, 2019 04:26AM

Chris Tedder September 17, 2019 02:08PM

Pistol September 20, 2019 04:33PM

robin cook September 18, 2019 03:58AM

Pistol September 20, 2019 04:39PM

Kanga September 20, 2019 10:37PM

Pistol September 22, 2019 07:03AM

Hermione September 24, 2019 06:43AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login