October 20, 2019 02:46PM
Pistol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All good points to consider, though because the
> texts constantly refer to the horizon and the god
> of the horizon I’m inclined to believe the
> winged solar disc would face east because of the
> rebirth aspect.

Okay, here's what I suspect may be going on in this inscription. As you note, the text below the first group starts with:

"May the face of the king of upper and lower Egypt
Nimaatre, be opened so that he may see the lord of
the horizon when he crosses the sky;"

In this passage, the "Lord of the Horizon" is referring to is Re in his Solar form - and we know this because he "crosses" the sky. However, if this inscription was meant to be facing East, the eyes of Amenemhet (Nimaatre) in this text would not actually be able to see Re as he CROSSED the sky, only as he ROSE UP in the sky. Therefore, why wouldn't this text be saying that Amenemhet could see the Lord of the Horizon as he ROSE UP in the sky instead of crossing? If we are to take the text of this side of the pyramidion at its word, it does not seem as appropriate for the East side as it is for the South side.

With that said, and with another "however", the "Lord of the Horizon" referred to from this part of the text forward would appear to be in regard to Re in his Polar form. This is the form of Re that is being asked to cause Amenemhet to "shine as a god", to become a "Lord of Eternity" and be "indestructible". In other words, for the King to become reborn as an Imperishable Star. And where would this transition take place? In the circumpolar region. Hence, the Re being referred to here would be the Polar Re, not the Solar Re.

The same is true for the next lines as well. The "Two Ladies" are no doubt Isis and Nephthys, and these two are almost always cited in the PT's in relation to the King's journey to the circumpolar region. They are spoken of here (as they are in the PT's) as being there to help the King "unite" with circumpolar entities who reside in the circumpolar Horizon. It is this region which is "at rest" (hotep) - due to the fact that it barely moves as all of the other stars in the night sky revolve around it. Re is saying that it pleases him to have the King "rest" here in this region, and so this is again the Polar Re speaking about the polar region.

Almost all of these texts have this sort of ambiguity to them - an ambiguity which I believe to have certainly been intentional.

It had never occurred to me before that the extant pyramidions may be helpful in providing some sort of confirmation of the polar/solar interpretation, and I thank you for bringing the Amenemhet capstone to my attention. I appreciate that this is not what you intended, but just the same, thanks.
Subject Author Posted

Amenemhet III's pyramidion

Pistol October 19, 2019 07:25AM

Re: Amenemhet III's pyramidion

L Cooper October 20, 2019 07:27AM

Pistol October 20, 2019 10:42AM

L Cooper October 20, 2019 02:46PM

Chris Tedder October 23, 2019 02:51PM

L Cooper October 24, 2019 07:44AM

Chris Tedder October 24, 2019 03:56PM

L Cooper October 25, 2019 10:13AM

Chris Tedder October 26, 2019 01:30PM

L Cooper October 28, 2019 07:25AM

Pistol October 25, 2019 06:32AM

L Cooper October 25, 2019 10:30AM

Pistol October 25, 2019 04:12PM

L Cooper October 26, 2019 07:40AM

Pistol October 28, 2019 04:46AM

Chris Tedder October 28, 2019 05:05AM

L Cooper October 28, 2019 08:10AM

cladking October 28, 2019 09:20PM

Chris Tedder October 29, 2019 07:41AM

Chris Tedder October 23, 2019 02:45PM

Byrd October 24, 2019 04:34PM

Pistol October 26, 2019 06:21AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login