Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors

November 14, 2019, 8:16 am UTC    
October 26, 2019 01:30PM
Lee: “She was referring to findings from the Tomb of Tutankhamun, but this does not mean this is when any such cross identification began.”

She does state however that “…since the orientation of the forehead emblem is correlated with the symbolism of both Isis-Nephthys and Nekhbet-Wadjet, within the New Kingdom mortuary context in which it originated….”

Lee: They are also often portrayed as nurses bearing babes and/or giving milk. Utterance 555 has: "I have assumed the White Crown and the Green Crown...My mother is Isis, my nurse is Nephthys"

Interesting that Isis and Nephthys are mentioned soon after the two crowns.

Lee: “CT Sp 16 has: "For you are Horus with his White Crown on his head (and righteousness on his brow)...Isis bore him, Nekhbet raised him". I think it safe to say that the association was already taking place in the M.K.

Possibly, but CT 16 reads Khabet not Nekhbet. Faulkner’s original 1973 translation of the CTs has Khabet (xAbt determined with G15 ‘vulture with flail’ in 4 out of 6 coffins) - it seems there is some confusion over the true identity of xAbt.

(the G15 vulture with flail is the determinative and ideogram for the goddess Mut (mwt / mjwt), the great mother and queen of the gods who ruled in Thebes –“regarded both generally as a mother goddess and as the mother of the king in particular.”)

Khabet is written with M12 (xA) ‘Lily’ / ‘lotus plant’ rather than M22 (nxb) ‘rush’ used for Nekhbet, so it reads xAbt (Khabet) and Faulkner notes “here xAb(y)t is a goddess, a nurse of the young Horus.” Perhaps the various scribes inadvertently invented a new goddess by using the wrong signs, but I doubt it.

In Faulkner’s updated 2004 version, Khabet (xAbt) is changed to Nekhbet, usually written nxbt with determinative G14 vulture+V30 basket, but here xAbt. Faulkner also notes that xAbt or xAbyt “is a goddess, a nurse of the young Horus.”

To confuse matters further, Faulkner’s 2004 version of the CTs has Khabet (xAbt) in CT 268 IV, 5

Djedu has been given to N to nourish him, with Khabet (xAbt) for his nurse. CT 268 IV, 5

The same signs are used as in CT 16, but the determinatives vary. Out of the three coffins, two use the det. I13 ‘cobra on basket’ and the other, G15 ‘vulture with flail’.

It seems that out of 8 Coffin Text mentions of Nekhbet / Khabet in 12 coffins only one has a fairly clear Nekhbet, the other 11 have Khabet.

Lee: “I see this line from the pyramidion as saying something like, “The word is brought to give to you the beautiful horizon of Isis and Nephthys so that you can take your inheritance of the united two lands for you to rest upon, which will cause me to be pleased.” There may be a bit of a pun in using the G16 term here given the “united two lands” reference just a few words later in the text, but I think that the image is still one of rebirth in the circumpolar horizon – and if so, then isis and Nephthys are indeed the “Two Ladies” that would have been involved. I suppose one could argue corruption of older material - either knowingly or unknowingly.”

I think the translation should simply be:

“…I have given the beautiful akhet (Axt), of the Two Ladies (nbtj) - 'He who takes the inheritance of the Two Lands (tAwy)', so that you may rest upon it…”

The ‘Two Ladies’ here are clearly Nekhbet and Wadjet, tutelary goddesses of the ‘Two Lands’ – political designation of Egypt as the union of the Nile Valley and Delta. The sign is G16 ideogram for the ‘Two Ladies’ Nekhbet and Wadjet.

J.P. Allen’s comments on the king’s titles with specific reference to Amenenemhat III:

“…the second name is known as the Two Ladies. It first appears in Dynasty 1. The “Two Ladies” (nbtj) are the vulture-goddess Nekhbet (nxbt), protector of Upper Egypt, and the cobra-goddess Wadjet (wADt), protective deity of Lower Egypt. Amenenemhat III’s Two Ladies name is jT jwat tAwj “He who takes possession of the inheritance of the Two Lands.”* (Allen 2000: 65)

*or "The one who has seized the inheritance of the Two Lands." (R.J. Leprohon 2013: 59)

This is as you say a “secondary issue” – what is more interesting is your statement:

“I think that the image is still one of rebirth in the circumpolar horizon – and if so, then isis and Nephthys are indeed the “Two Ladies” that would have been involved.”

“Rebirth in the circumpolar horizon”? I’m aware of an eastern and western akhet, but a northern one? Can you elaborate on this intriguing idea and why Isis and Nephthys are involved?

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2019 01:38PM by Chris Tedder.
Subject Author Posted

Amenemhet III's pyramidion

Pistol October 19, 2019 07:25AM

Re: Amenemhet III's pyramidion

L Cooper October 20, 2019 07:27AM

Pistol October 20, 2019 10:42AM

L Cooper October 20, 2019 02:46PM

Chris Tedder October 23, 2019 02:51PM

L Cooper October 24, 2019 07:44AM

Chris Tedder October 24, 2019 03:56PM

L Cooper October 25, 2019 10:13AM

Chris Tedder October 26, 2019 01:30PM

L Cooper October 28, 2019 07:25AM

Pistol October 25, 2019 06:32AM

L Cooper October 25, 2019 10:30AM

Pistol October 25, 2019 04:12PM

L Cooper October 26, 2019 07:40AM

Pistol October 28, 2019 04:46AM

Chris Tedder October 28, 2019 05:05AM

L Cooper October 28, 2019 08:10AM

cladking October 28, 2019 09:20PM

Chris Tedder October 29, 2019 07:41AM

Chris Tedder October 23, 2019 02:45PM

Byrd October 24, 2019 04:34PM

Pistol October 26, 2019 06:21AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login