Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors

November 14, 2019, 9:51 am UTC    
November 06, 2019 02:31PM
Hi Hans,

Wood, as we have seen was widely used in the first 6-7 dynasties, especially in burials. Now a reasonable person would accept that as they cleared away the Giza plateau, emptied out older mastabas and tombs to make way for the 4th dynasty, and if they came across suitable pieces of wood they would either use them (repurpose) like beams and such or perhaps planks... coffins I'm not so sure as we don't know what they did with the owners of those older tombs, I assume they were reburied somewhere... anyway the scraps not repurposed would, if they were burnable, be used as fire wood, but 200+ year old wood buried or used in a tomb isn't going to burn well and more than likely the wood they used to build with came via trade routes from all directions... you need to feed the workers (with fire), build boats, barges, cranes and living quarters, build coffins statues etc... and still build the pyramids, so my money is on imported wood for the finer things, acacia for fires with usable scraps thrown into the mix. When you look at the strata of c14 dates they show three separate and distinct age groups of wood-fibres (carbon) used for each Giza pyramid, the oldest combined belong to G2 and G1 and G3 groups closely mirror each other. I don't believe wood was a scarce commodity, it was easily got by trade, something the Egyptians had been already doing for a 1000 years.

One point to make in this discussion, the conventional dates are set not in stone but by Parker who needed them to be where they are to align to late period evidence of the Sothic calendar, he needed there to be two Lunar calendars as well an old and new, unfortunately Parker was somewhat discredited by Clagetts analysis, however because nobody has resolved the calendar issue Parker's views linger. This is why the c14 has been summarily dismissed because it would throw the dates off and we wouldn't want that to happen now would we. My view is Calendars have always changed especially at the collapse of rule, with the exception of the Hebrew Lunar calendar which predates Egypt according to them but has never changed.

Best regards,

B.A.Hokom
Subject Author Posted

The Improved High Chronology

Hermione October 29, 2019 04:16AM

Re: The Improved High Chronology

Chris Tedder November 05, 2019 01:03PM

Pistol November 05, 2019 02:08PM

cladking November 05, 2019 06:06PM

Release of research and data?

Hans November 05, 2019 09:54PM

Hans November 05, 2019 09:59PM

Hermione November 06, 2019 08:51AM

cladking November 06, 2019 09:45AM

Hans November 06, 2019 11:35AM

Pistol November 06, 2019 02:31PM

Hans November 06, 2019 02:49PM

cladking November 06, 2019 04:33PM

Hans November 06, 2019 04:38PM

Warwick L Nixon November 07, 2019 03:44PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login