Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors

November 12, 2019, 6:54 am UTC    
November 06, 2019 04:33PM
I recently found myself burning some old wood. They were scraps of railroad ties that had been repurposed for steps.

These were used by a nearby railroad that went in in 1881 IMS. Most ties in heavily used lines are replaced about every 40 years except those which are exposed to a lot of moisture or are very poorly maintained. It's unlikely any of these were original but even those which were would have been 40 year old trees. If they were carbon dated then the insides of the ties couldn't have been much older than 1839 (180 years) and the outsides 1879 (140 years). Wood is abundant here and is even grown commercially and rare woods are harvested everywhere. Yet, I have no idea where I'd find any wood older than this, The steps I put in will be gone in 35 years even though I gave them another soak in creosote. That wood will be 215 years old when it's replaced.

I built a table out of some wood that was recycled from an old laboratory. It was in fairly good shape but I still generated more weight in scrap than the table weighed. The craftsmanship wasn't good enough to have a good shot at being around in a century but it is quite sturdy and unlikely to break,. The wood would be about 300 years old in another century.

I can hardly imagine a place where wood is rare but they have ample amounts of scrap to build fires and slake lime. It takes a lot of wood for this even if you can use it at 100% efficiency but without furnaces they'd have terrible efficiency as most of the heat would simply go up with the smoke.

Where wood is precious very little has a chance at a long life. I'd wager I'd have to look long and hard to find anyone burning much 100 year old wood around here other than the occasional old tree.

There would have been very sparse vegetation for many miles around Giza (except the valley, of course). Rainfall was far higher in those days but it was still only a few inches per year. This is insufficient for most trees to take root. They would grow in low lying areas because their roots could get deep enough to reach the water table before another dry spell came around. Most of these trees were scrub and few grew tro much height other than sycamores. But this region had been occupied for a very long time before the pyramids were built (no matter when they were really built) so it's highly improbable they harvested many trees nearby. Even the trees that came from "Byblos" were, in all probability being grown commercially. Trees were harvested where it was easiest to harvest them (gentle rises near water) and new trees would grow quickly with ample sun made possible by the removal of mature trees. This is how we do it now and this would be how they did it in 2750 BC. The difference is we have machines that negate the need for water nearby. Trees coming from Byblos wouldn't be old either and even if they were then the outsides of these trees which would be grossly over represented in wastage would not be old.

Whatever caused the results is not "old wood".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2019 04:35PM by cladking.
Subject Author Posted

The Improved High Chronology

Hermione October 29, 2019 04:16AM

Re: The Improved High Chronology

Chris Tedder November 05, 2019 01:03PM

Pistol November 05, 2019 02:08PM

cladking November 05, 2019 06:06PM

Release of research and data?

Hans November 05, 2019 09:54PM

Hans November 05, 2019 09:59PM

Hermione November 06, 2019 08:51AM

cladking November 06, 2019 09:45AM

Hans November 06, 2019 11:35AM

Pistol November 06, 2019 02:31PM

Hans November 06, 2019 02:49PM

cladking November 06, 2019 04:33PM

Hans November 06, 2019 04:38PM

Warwick L Nixon November 07, 2019 03:44PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login