Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors

August 10, 2020, 7:29 pm UTC    
December 08, 2019 03:56PM
Thanks for that

If my model is correct, of which I am convinced, but probably not yet sufficiently well developed to convince those with entrenched views, then I think your summary is likely to be the starting point for a correct interpretation if not also the finishing point.

There is a possibility of a more fanciful interpretation because latent in Khufu's sarcophagus are at least two model spheres, so I wondered if the sphere of the open sarcophagus represented the horizon of the earth and the larger sphere of the sealed sarcophagus represented the broader horizon of the heavens above.

There is only one horizon, but is it possible that the ancient mind imagined two horizons from a geocentric view of the universe?

Khufu may have imagined travelling with the sun-god, so the closure of the lid of his sarcophagus may have been seen as opening the door to a bright new horizon.

The king may have connected the evening of his life to the beginning of a new life in the celestial sphere, so your view coupled with article just posted by Hermione may have relevance to the design of Khufu's sarcophagus.

Mark

There is a French quotation:
''Happy is the man who can connect the evening of his life to beginning'' to which it seems appropriate to add 'and seen in both a bright new horizon'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 04:01PM by Mark Heaton.
Subject Author Posted

Khufu's Horizon

Mark Heaton December 05, 2019 06:13PM

Re: Khufu's Horizon

Corvidius December 08, 2019 06:07AM

Hermione December 08, 2019 08:28AM

Mark Heaton December 08, 2019 03:56PM

Corvidius December 09, 2019 03:47AM

Hermione December 09, 2019 09:03AM

mstower December 09, 2019 01:12PM

Re: Khufu's Horizon - ratios

Mark Heaton December 10, 2019 03:13PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login